Saturday, June 23, 2012


I had this idea of a blue bear while gathering artwork to send to True North Gallery in South Hamilton, MA. I do not really know why blue. There are multiple reasons I suppose: blue is a spiritual color; blue can be symbolic of the sky or the waters; depending upon how dark the blue, it can represent the many days of night that occur in the far north; blue is also symbolic of cold or coolness.
Instead of painting an actual species of bear, for this image I was thinking of what is the essence of the animal. I was thinking of their mass and size, their shape, stance and the way they move. Then I tried not to think and let things happen. The results were children's bookish, of which I do not mind, and a bit sweeter looking than I had intended. I like it none the less.

No comments:

Post a Comment